Analysing data over time in a record map
When a time-series attribute is used for color or point-size in a record map, a special set of features are enabled for analyzing data over time.
Keshif automatically synchronizes color and point-size if either is updated, or during animated races.
Selecting a time key for record map
To select a specific time-key,
- Click the selected year, and choose an option in the dropdown, or
- Click the previous/next buttons next to the selected year, or
- Click on the time-key axis to jump into the pointed time.
Animated record map time race
Animating maps over time is an engaging storytelling tool which uses smoothly animated colors (and point sizes if applicable) that gradually reveal the trends on each geographic location.
To animate changes to the map over time using the selected time-series attribute(s),
- Click on the play icon.
- The animation automatically stops after reaching final data point.
- You can also stop animation by clicking the stop icon, which appears when using time race animation.
- To animate faster by skipping 5 time keys at each step, Shift+click on the animate button. The video above is captured using this 5-key stepping option.
Creating Sparkline Charts in Record Tooltips
If the color uses a time-series attribute source, the mouse-over tooltips for a record (such a country or a point location) automatically creates a sparkline chart, a compact visualization showing changes over time for the color source attribute.