Analyzing data over time in a scatter plot
When a time-series attribute is used for axes, color or point-size in a scatter plot, Keshif enables special features for analyzing data over time, and auto-synchronizes the time source of all these variables.
Selecting a time key for scatter plot
To select a specific time-key,
- Click the selected year, and choose an option in the dropdown, or
- Click the previous/next buttons next to the selected year, or
- Click on the time-key axis to jump into the pointed time.
Animated scatter plot time races
Animating scatter plots over time is an engaging storytelling tool which uses smoothly animated point positions, colors and sizes that gradually reveal the trends of each data point.
To animate changes to the scatter plot over time using the selected time-series attribute(s),
- Click on the play icon.
- The animation automatically stops after reaching final data point.
- You can also stop animation by clicking the stop icon, which appears when using time race animation.
- To animate faster by skipping 5 time keys at each step, Shift+click on the animate button.
Creating Sparkline Charts in Record Tooltips
If the color uses a time-series attribute source, the mouse-over tooltips for a record point automatically creates a sparkline chart, a compact visualization showing changes over time for the color attribute.
- In addition to the tooltip sparkline chart, mouse-over on a record also highlights the X and Y values, as well as the position along the color scale, allowing detailed and contextual on-demand information.
Connected scatter plot : Record scatter trail visualizations
With time-series data for both position axes, Keshif enables record trail visualization on mouse-over on an individual record.